General Considerations for Sharps with Injury Prevention (SIP) Evaluation Form for Safer Injections. The following considerations must be met.
- Gloves will be used during procedures, so it is important to include that the device is appropriately used with gloved hands.
- Used/contaminated SIP device should not be recapped. Injury prevention features should be activated then safely disposed into an appropriate sharps container. Each SIP must provide a better alternative than to recap.
- The device will work effectively with all relevant syringe and needle sizes.
- If hazardous drugs are being administered (i.e., chemotherapy, anti-neoplastics) controls for protecting users from bloodborne pathogens and chemical hazards must be addressed.
- If using a disposable syringe to draw blood, please refer to the Blood Collection Evaluation Form.
Once these conditions have been met, the following design criteria will serve as parameters to inform the decision to introduce a new SIP device into use.